5 Top Tips for Beating the January Blues
By thequeensenglishprints, Jan 2 2016 09:44PM
Ahh what happened?! We went to bed full of joy, good intentions, and Prosecco – and we woke up in… January. It’s pretty bleak over here on the other side of Christmas and New Year… but it doesn’t have to be! We’ve put together a few top tips to keep you smiling through one of the most monochrome times of the year, so boot up, buckle in and follow us… spring is on the horizon, and we know the way!
1. Don’t make vague NY resolutions, like ‘lose weight,’ ‘exercise more’ or ‘save money’. You’re more likely to ignore them, subsequently fail at them, and make yourself feel even glummer than you did before. Instead, focus on specific, achievable aims, like ‘Do 20 sit-ups every day before my shower.’ It’s small, easy enough to fit in, and kills both the ‘exercise more’ and (potentially) the ‘lose weight’ birds with one stone. Plus, it’s a great way to kick-start your day, and will have a positive effect on your mood and energy levels!
2. Indulge in a fantasy world… by which, we mean lose yourself in a good book! Sure, the weather’s grey, the nights are long, and you’re skint… but snuggling under a blanket with a mug of hot chocolate and a great read is practically free, and it’s a great form of escapism if you’re finding yourself stressed out by work, money, or the general day-to-day grind.
3. Meet up with people. Don’t get us wrong, technology is a wonderful thing, but social networks aren’t nearly as social as you think they are. When you interact with people face to face, it triggers certain physiological responses in the brain that benefit your mental health in ways that communicating via text or online just can’t!
4. Don’t overthink it. Ok, we know we’ve egged you on a bit, but really January is just another month. And a month by any other name, would smell as… well, you get the drift. Just like every other month, January still features all your favourites, including Friday nights, weekends, payday, and the rest. And hey, before you know it, it’ll be February!
5. We’ve definitely saved the best til last! If you’ve read through all of the above and you’re still upset at the thought of January 2016’s Great Prosecco Drought, then cheer yourself with this – if you pop back to the homepage of this beautiful website, and fill in the newsletter sign-up form at the bottom, then we will send you a very pretty little email entitling you to 20% off EVERYTHING at The Queen’s English Prints! With free postage on top of that, you can invest in a lovely little pick-me-up for yourself or, if you’re feeling super-ahead-of-the-game, why not tick off Valentine’s Day without breaking the bank?